|Bio English Version|
· It's been 40 years since nine-year old Nils Gessinger first amazed a crowd of 400 guests with his piano performance. Today, the twelve-piece "Nils Gessinger Band" fills concert halls at international Jazz festivals and charms audiences with impressive sounds and incredible lyrics. Nils reached international recognition with the hit "Angel" (Indonesian Radio Charts).
· A career of such status usually requires some luck, but not this success story. Nils received his first classical lessons from his grandfather. Later, at his brother's disco, Nils was introduced to Funk and Soul music. However, his love for the "blue notes" originated at his parents' Jazz club.
· Having played with numerous bands from southern Germany, Nils studied "Jazz & Classics" under Prof. Dr. Dieter Glawischnig at the Hamburg university of Music and Theater. During that time the passionate motorcyclist established himself in Hamburg's music scene.
· Fellow artists Dee Dee Bridgewater, Inga Rumpf, The Platters, Georg Danzerand the Three Degrees appreciate his musical sensitivity and incredible virtuosity. The NDR BigBand (North German Radio Big Band) hired him for numerous studio- and live- productions. At the present time, Nils is the conductor and leader of Hamburg's State Youth Jazz Orchestra "Jazzessence". Under his leadership Jazzessence has recorded 4 CDs (amongst others with Bob Mintzer and Herb Geller).
· In addition to his impressive solo career, Nils established himself in the world of show biz. For 12 years, he was the principal pianist in Hamburg's Broadway adaptation of the hit musical "Cats". As musical director and keyboardist Nils toured with "Aretha - The Queen Of Soul", "Mahalia - The Queen Of Gospel", "Fosse", "Little Shop Of Horrors", "Anna Maria Kaufmann", "Hartwig Rudolz" and the "Stella Promotion Band". Nils is currently pianist fpr Keyboard 1 in Hamburg's musical production of Disney´s "The Lion King".
· In 1995, Nils released his highly acclaimed debut CD "Ducks 'n' Cookies". A total of 28 musicians, including guests such as Inga Rumpf, Bridget Folge, Peter Weniger, Billy King and Herb Geller, devoted their various talents to the project, giving this album its unparalleled sounds. The 14 songs, mixed in Dolby Surround, are a brilliant blend of Funk-, Soul-, Latin- and Fusion music.
· Nils is the first European musician to be signed on by world renowned U.S. record label "GRP/Universal". Tommy LiPuma, president of GRP and legendary producer of Miles Davis, Al Jarreau, Randy Crawford and David Sanborn, listened to a tape of Nils Gessinger during a visit to Germany. Impressed by Nils´ talent and style, LiPuma immediately took him under contract.
· The international success of "Ducks 'n' Cookies" led to performances at big Jazz festivals. In 1996, Nils opened the show for George Benson at the "Westport Festival" in Hamburg and in November 1995 he shared the stage with Spyro Gyra.
· By 1996, the pianist, arranger and composer had enough new material to produce his second album "Scratch Blue". 41 musicians, including guitar legend Robben Ford and trombone player Nils Landgren, played a mixture of vocal- and instrumental tunes, resulting in invitations to play at international festivals like the "North Sea Jazz Festival" in The Hague.
· In 1997, ARD (major German TV station) dedicated a 60-minute live performance "Ohne Filter Extra" to the gifted musician. Special musical guest was Robben Ford.
· In 2001, Nils wrote 16 new titles for his third album "Jam It Up!", which was produced in Los Angeles as well as Hamburg. 38 renowned musicians participated in the recording of this CD. Special guest stars included Dave Weckl on drums, Peter Weniger on sax and Joe Gallardo on trombone. "Jam It Up!" was released 2003 in Hamburg and is available on CDBaby, this website and iTunes Store.
· 2009 the all new CD "Burning" has been officially released through New Music Distribution as well as on iTunes store and CDBaby. Appearing as guest star drum legend Vinnie Colaiuta (Sting, Frank Zappa) is on the drum seat. Additional guests are amongst others: Peter Weniger (sax), Joe Gallardo (trb), Arnd Geise (b) Jost Nickel (dr), Nathalie Dorra and Madeleine Lang (voc).
· Beginning of 2011 the 20th band jubilee has been celebrated
with a large tour through Germany playing in sold out halls such as
Schwäbisch Hall NCO-Club,
Munich Schlachthof as well as
|top of page|